Tuesday, October 22, 2013

True confessions of a CSA novice

So, we are nearing the end of our first summer with Fresh Fork and (here's where I reveal just how un-trendy I am) I'm not sure it was for me.  Sure, the first month was awesome.  Even the second month was pretty great.  I really liked experimenting with vegetables I didn't know existed and trying new recipes.  And the fruit - yes, the fresh fruit was definitely the highlight for me.

But slowly my kitchen was being overrun by potatoes and corn on the cob and insanely huge leafy things that just did not fit in my refrigerator.  I mean, what the hell is fennel anyway?  I was slowly starting to dread Wednesdays when I would have to go pick up a new bag of veggies I had no place to put.

Why weren't you eating them, you ask?  Because who can cook something new every night of the week?  Not I, good sir, not I! I tried.  I really did and I can honestly say I learned a few recipes that will fit nicely in our recipe rotation but I'm burnt out.  Just thinking about dinner makes me break out in a cold sweat - what am I going to do with all this cabbage?

Perhaps a CSA is meant for people who really like to cook or maybe just a household with more than two mouths to feed.  But for now I'm looking forward to our standards - that require very little thought and do not include kale.


No comments:

Post a Comment